Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Long Awaited Night

I have been waiting for this day since I came to Boston for school. Just a few subway stops away from the TD Banknorth Garden, I have been anticipating the day that I could cheer on the Ducks in the home of the Bruins. Freshman year, I was disappointed to learn that the Ducks would not be in Boston, or even play them at all for that matter. “Next year,” I thought. The next year came around and I anxiously checked the schedule. No Ducks in Boston that year either, but the Bruins did play at the Honda Center for the Ducks’ home opener. After I had already left for Boston for the start of the school year.

The 2008-2009 season rolled around after a disappointingly long off-season, and finally I saw that the Ducks are scheduled to play in Boston on February 26th, 2009. I immediately contacted my friend and Emerson Lions teammate Sean, who has season tickets that he shares with the team. He already had the tickets reserved for me, and I can’t thank him enough. They’re great seats, too. Section 14 in the Loge level, right next to the zamboni door. Of course I decided to go with my girlfriend, Candice, who has become a Ducks fan herself.

February 26th finally came and I was a little kid on Christmas Eve. As soon as I held the tickets in my hands, my eyes lit up. Sitting in my 4:00-6:00 class before heading out to the game was torture. Every time I checked the clock, time had slowed down even more. My legs were shaking with anxiety. When class got out, I almost literally ran out of the building back to my apartment, pulled on my Ducks jersey and hat, and headed for the subway with Candice, also in Ducks hat and jersey.

Riding the subway to the Garden was a strange experience. There were plenty of Bruins-clad fans surrounding us. Any other day, I would be happy to see them, fellow hockey fans. But not when the Ducks are in town. I was all smiles as we walked into the arena and to our seats. I was all smiles throughout the game, regardless of the lopsided loss. I was all smiles on the way home. Not only was it hockey night, but I got to see the Ducks, and any time I get to see them is a good time. Sure there was a little heckling from Bruins fans, but they were good-natured about it. And I was happily surprised to see that there was a nice handful of Ducks supporters there too. It was great experiencing the camaraderie between fellow Ducks fans throughout the night, from shouts of “Go Ducks!” across the concourse to “Hey, next time, huh?” on the way out of the arena.

Did the game go as I had hoped? No. Did I get to be one of the extreme few to leap up as the away team scored a goal? No. But the Ducks were in town and did I have a hell of a fun night cheering them on? I wouldn’t miss it.

No comments: