Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm Nemmy, I'm 20, and I'm a hockeyholic.

I was born to a family that never watched hockey. My parents had only been in the US for about 5 years when they met each other and I spawned out of nothingness. I was their only child at the time, and during elementary school, none of my friends watched sports. If you were to ask me today about how I became a hockey fan, I really wouldn't have a good answer to that. Nobody introduced it to me.

I remember coming home from elementary school and turning on the TV. I'd just sit on the couch, browsing the channels until I came across something interesting. I was lucky enough to be home before 4:30 every day. I was lucky enough to be on pacific time. I was lucky enough to catch eastern and western games on ESPN. I really can't tell you what it is about hockey that held my interest, but it did. I'd come home every day and turn on the TV and watch a hockey game for an entire 3 hours. A hockey fan was born.

I remember the dynamic duos of the day, tearing it up across the league. When you watch Kariya-Selanne, Sakic-Forsberg, Tkachuk-Roenick, Lindros-Leclair and Messier-Gretzky, you get entranced. You get captivated. You're forced to be a fan.

Similarly, it was Kariya and Selanne that really got me hooked onto the Ducks. The movies were great and all, but it was those two that got me hooked onto this team.

In the present, I'm still a hockey fan and going strong. Unfortunately, I'm probably the only person my friends know that follows hockey religiously. I make my passion for the sport well known, hoping to catalyze positive reactions to the sport. When you're a fan of a sport that takes a backseat to basketball, football and baseball, you've got to do your part in the community.

No comments: