Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Red Wings & Blackhawks at Wrigley Field/Reflecting on the Ducks & Red Wings

The Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks will face off at Wrigley Field on January 1, 2009. 

I think this is awesome. I do have to say that I would rather see someone else other than Detroit there, but there is a fan base obviously. The drive isn't bad from Michigan either. Chicago has a young team, exciting to watch, and they feel they have a lot to prove. I like their off season moves so far. Huet will be solid in net.

Detroit is a great team. The best at this point. I hate to see them win. I think that the only team in the west who can beat Detroit in the playoffs is Anaheim. I find myself on the Anaheim Ducks facebook group a lot because of the lack of hockey attention in Utah. Denton, a fellow admin of the group, and I discussed this back when the Ducks were ousted by the Stars in the playoffs. 

Dallas was the one team I didn't want to face. I wouldn't want to face L.A. either. Why not? Los Angeles had the worst record in the western conference? Doesn't matter. Whenever we face these division rivals, none of our other stats seem to matter. There is too much rivalry there. Detroit won the cup because they didn't have to play Anaheim. The Stars put up a good fight, but couldn't pull it off. 

I think there was a huge sigh of relief in Detroit when the Ducks lost to the Stars 4 games to 2. If you don't remember how much pain Anaheim caused Detroit back in the '07 playoffs take a look at Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals. Detroit is up 1-0 with 45 seconds left. Scott Niedermayer flips a shot to the goal, deflecting off the Wings Captain's, Nick Lidstrom, stick and puts the game into OT.  The game winning goal is my choice for "Goal of the '07 Playoffs."


No comments: